Friday, February 18, 2011

Race and Literacy





RRJ # 1 
Race and Literacy
Reference:
Groenke, S.L, and Scherff, L. (2010, February). Race and Literacy. English Leadership Quarterly 32, 3. National Council of Teachers of English.

Summary:
            In this article there is discussion about race and literacy in the United States of America. I was interested in reading it. All this information which is given explains that the American society suffers from classification between white people and persons of color in education. Even after the first black president, they claim that they live now in a “post-racial” society. Some persons of color are named in public schools as lazy, violent, uneducable, and at risk. The writers had the opinion that the teachers, school leaders, and colleagues should discuss race matters in front of pupils if this thing is to end in their society. In addition to that one high school American literature teacher’s attempt to change her traditional canonical curriculum to one more inclusive of diverse voices and experiences was described.

Reaction:
            My major is the English language. I was very interested in reading about this issue of race and literacy. I much admired with space of freedom for writers to talk about this matter freely for the benefit of their society to live in connecting between each other without racism. Officials also were very concerned with students without looking to their skin; if there was not any kind of discrimination, the society would live in happiness with equal chances in many aspects. I like this article because of the efforts which activists made to try to improve the importance of discussion of this subject if their society is free from racism. They wanted all students to have all the same rights in learning. I think that article reflects the humans’ behavior towards each other. It gives me much information about the American community and the struggle with racism against colored persons. I feel that because of this article I can avoid racism in my curriculum by designing it to include everyone, not just one specific group. In my country we do not have racism issues, but have gender inequality which I feel that I can help solve by including coursework which is designed to close the gap between genders.



No comments:

Post a Comment